Terms of Reference
The UGC, empowered by Section 4(2) of the Universities Act No. 16 of 1978, as and when required appoints Standing Committees for specific purposes, consisting of such members and with such powers, duties and functions as may be determined by the Commission. The Chairman of each Standing Committee shall be a member of the Commission.
The main role of the Standing Committee on Engineering and Architecture would be to function as the advisory body to UGC and vigorously pursue/promote undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes in Engineering and Architecture in universities.
In this regard the following specific activities will be pursued:
- Provide directions and guidance on higher education related to Engineering, Architecture, Quantity Surveying and Town Planning.
- Evaluate proposals submitted by universities/Institutes with respect to curriculum reforms for new study programmes, postgraduate programmes and establishment of new Departments/Faculties/Institutes in the said fields and submit recommendations to the Commission.
- Function as a catalyst to promote new initiatives and reforms to improve and advance quality and relevance of undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes in the said fields and submit recommendations to the Commission.
- Promote networking and strategic partnerships between Universities, professional bodies, chambers and industry related to Engineering, Architecture, Quantity Surveying and Town Planning.
- Promote necessary awareness programmes through, conferences, workshops, symposia etc. related to development in Engineering, Architecture, Quantity Surveying and Town Planning.
- Promote relevant research, innovations and out-reach programmes for regional/national development.
- Promote and facilitate the transfer of new technology developed in Universities to the community.
- Provide assistance in formulating national policies and conducting relevant studies in the fields of Power and Energy, Construction, Engineering Services, Housing & Common Amenities and allied fields.
|Chairman||Prof. Malik Ranasinghe||Commission Member||University Grants Commission|
|Secretary||Mrs. Janadari Wijesinghe||Senior Assistant Secretary/Academic Affairs||University Grants Commission|
|Prof. Leelananda Rajapaksha||Dean/Engineering||University of Peradeniya|
|Prof. UGA Puswewala||Dean/Engineering||University of Moratuwa|
|Prof. PKS Mahanama||Dean/Architecture||University of Moratuwa|
|Dr. Chandana Perera||Dean/Engineering||University of Ruhuna|
|Mr. KRMU Bandara||Dean/Geomatics||Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka|
|Prof. SA Ariadurai||Dean/Faculty of Engineering Technology||Open University of Sri Lanka|
|Eng. SB Wijekoon||President||Institution of Engineers’ Sri Lanka|
|Archt. Ranjan Nadesapillai FIA (SL)||Immediate President||Sri Lanka Institute of Architects|
|Prof. Chithra Wedikkara||Immediate Past President||Institute of Quantity Surveyors, Sri Lanka|
|Plnr. Hemantha Jayasundara||President||Institute of Town Planners, Sri Lanka|
|Prof. Shereen Amendra||President||Sri Lanka Institute of Landscape Architects|
|Mr. Ruwan Edirisinghe||Vice Chairman||National Chamber of Industries|
|Mr. MTJ Cooray||Nominee of President||National Chamber of Commerce|
|Emeritus Prof. NR Arthenayake||UGC Nominee||Consultant - South Eastern University|
|Dr. SM Junaideen||Dean/Engineering||South Eastern University|
|Mr. A Atputhrajah||Dean/Engineering||University of Jaffna|
|Mr. A Harindu Lankmal||Dean/FBESS||General Sir John Kotelawala Defence University|
|Prof. JP Karunadasa||Dean/Faculty of Engineering||General Sir John Kotelawala Defence University|