Terms of Reference
The Standing Committee on Indigenous Medicine at its 37th Meeting held on 04th March 2013 having discussed the Terms and References of the Standing Committee and recommended the same for the approval of the Commission.
To provide a consultative forum that can effectively address issues of learning, teaching, research and staffing in Indigenous medicine in Universities /institutes on Sri Lanka at Undergraduate and postgraduate levels
The functions of the Standing Committee on Indigenous medicine are.
- To assist in the formulation and dissemination of policies, practices and procedures and to initiate actions on policy directions issued by the UGC from time to time and take steps to implement prescribed initiatives, Programmes and activities at Institute, Department and Unit level.
- To evaluate proposals submitted by institutes, Departments and units teaching Indigenous medicine with respect to curricular reforms and curriculum for new study Programmes and submit recommendations to the Commission.
- To propose timely changes in curriculum, evaluation and revision in indigenous medicine study programs.
- To encourage creation and dissemination of avenues for research and publication.
- To promote research, innovations and outreach Programmes for regional/ national development.
- To promote and facilitate the transfer of new knowledge and technology developed in HEIs to the community.
- To promote networking and strategic partnerships between HEIs, treatment centers, industry and private sector.
- To evaluate proposals submitted by Institutes for the establishment of new Departments/ units and submit recommendations to the Commission.
- To function as a catalytic unit to promote new initiatives and reforms to improve and advance quality and relevance of teaching/learning/research both undergraduate and post graduate Degree Programmes on Indigenous medicine and convey to the Commission for consideration
|Chairman||Dr. Ruvaiz Haniffa||Commission Member||University Grants Commission|
|Secretary||Mrs. Janadari Wijesinghe||Senior Assistant Secretary/Academic Affairs||University Grants Commission|
|Dr. MWSJ Kumari||Director (Acting)||Institute of Indigenous Medicine|
|Dr.AHM Mawjood||Head/Unani Section||Institute of Indigenous Medicine|
|Prof. Janitha A Liyanage||Director||Gampaha Wickramarachchi Ayurveda Institute|
|Dr. S Sivashanmugarajah||Head/Siddha Medicine||University of Jaffna|
|Dr. (Mrs.) Paheerathan||Head/Siddha Medicine||Trincomalee Campus|
|Dr. BM Nageeb||Head/Unani||Institute of Indigenous Medicine|
|Prof. KKDS Ranaweera||Director||Bandaranayake Memorial Ayurveda Reser. Ins.|
|Mrs. Pearl Weerasinghe||Secretary||Ministry of Indegenous Medicine|
|Mr. PSKR Weerakoon||Ayurveda Commissioner||Department of Ayurveda|
|Dr. MCM Maheez||UGC Nominee||Institute of Indigenous Medicine|
|Dr. Upali Pilapitiya||UGC Nominee||Private Consultant|
|Dr. G Jayawardene||UGC Nominee||Private Consultant|
|Prof. SP Samarakoon||Senior Professor (Retired)||University of Ruhuna|